The Ushering Department is a service department in the Church and it is primarily responsible for ensuring that an atmosphere of reverence and order is maintained before, during and after the service. The department ensures that everything is done decently and everyone has a good worship experience.
The Ushering department of RCCG Christ Villa is a ministry of service and the vision is based on service to others as found in Colossians 3:23-24 -"Whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as unto the Lord, and not unto men; knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.".
The mood and appearance of the ushers always must be one of cheerfulness and gladness as the ushers are the initial point of call for members and visitors coming to the church for the first time. We are like the “customer service representatives” of the church.
The impression which the ushers make on members and first timers may determine if they are willing to continue with the church or go elsewhere. It may result in winning a soul for the kingdom or losing a soul. The role of an usher is to help first time guests, repeat visitors, and members experience the sacredness and joy of a worship service
Areas of responsibility for the church ushers
- Welcome: Provide a warm and pleasant reception for members and visitors as they enter the church building.
- Crowd Control: Coordinate the inflow and outflow of people in and out of the church building to ensure it is done orderly with minimum distraction to others.
- Seating Arrangement Oversee the seating of members and visitors to ensure it is done orderly with minimum distraction to others.
- Offering & Tithes:Coordinate the collection of offering and tithes in an orderly manner.The collection of offering and tithes shall be done always from the back to the front. The officiating minister must give first.
- Serving: Coordinate the distribution of materials like books, CDs, flyers, and others as required.
- Attendance:Carry out a physical head count of worshippers and compile overall attendance for each church service. This should be done accurately and in an orderly manner without distracting the attention of the congregation.
- Attention:During ministration (laying-on of hands) ushers are expected to always be on alert, to attend to anyone as may be required.
- Female ushers should stand behind and attend to women only while male ushers to attend to men only.
- Ushers are expected to be in church at least 15minutes before programs are started unless a different expectation is required for specific church programs.
The Ushering Department has core values which every usher should demonstrate. Every usher should be:
- Spiritual: We take our spiritual lives, especially prayers and studying of the word very seriously. We understand that the physical is controlled by the spiritual. John 6:63- “It is the spirit that gives life, the flesh profits nothing”.
- Polite and Cheerful:As a team that will be interacting with people from different backgrounds especially at the point of entrance, the ushers are expected to always maintain a polite and cheerful appearance with high sense of humility while receiving and dealing with all worshippers.
- Organized:As a department that is to maintain order in the church, every usher is expected to be organized and orderly in their individual lives.
- Submissive: We are to submit to each other and the church leadership, out of respect for each other, as fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.Eph. 5:21- “Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God”.
- Excellence: Our ushers are committed to efficiency and excellence, always looking for ways to improve because our God is a God of Excellence.
- Patience:Our Ushers are committed to exhibiting patience always, having in mind that a lot of people come with different burdens. We try not to add to their burdens but to alleviate them.
- Punctuality:It is required that ushers must arrive the church at least 15 minutes before the start of any church service and anyone resuming lesser time will be considered a late comer.
- Uniformity/Dress Code:Ushers are expected to always dress in uniformity during church services.
- Initiative: Ushers are expected to handle duties and responsibilities without having to wait on instructions. We are expected to take ownership and be proactive.
Copyright ©2019 Christ Villa Church. All Rights Reserved